This post was written by Jessica (Jingyun) Lin, GSAS ‘26 and an intern in the RBML’s Graduate Student Internship in Primary Sources. She recently processed the Wallace S. Broecker papers. The Dangerous Playground We will think about early human bones when we hear the word carbon-14 dating. We might think of mummies and Tutankhamun […]
Category: Columbia University Archives
The Locomotive Laboratory
Columbia started classes in the new Morningside Heights campus in October 1897. On this brand new campus, the engineering students finally had ample classroom and laboratory space in their two new buildings: the School of Mines (now Lewisohn) and the School of Engineering (now Mathematics). But did you know that there used to be a […]
The Hammerman: A Moving Statue
In the northeast corner of campus, Constantin Meunier’s sculpture Le Marteleur greets visitors in front of the home of the engineering school. Le Marteleur or the Hammerman was a gift of the Class of 1889 of the School of Mines (now the Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science) installed all the way back […]
King’s College Class of 1776
In April 1776, the Committee on Safety ordered the King’s College governors (or Trustees) to close the College in 6 days so they could turn the building into a hospital. While the library and the academic equipment were packed up and stored in City Hall, classes did continue to meet. The students were allowed to […]
1784: Columbia College en Français?
On May 1, 1784, a New York State statute declared “that the College within the City of New York heretofore called King’s College be forever hereafter called and known by the name of Columbia College.” On May 5, 1784, the new board of Regents (or Trustees) made its first faculty appointment. They ordered “that a […]